There’s something about the female vet’s in the game, the one’s that have been independent and “bossy” before it became a movement, that has always been intriguing to me; I love their stories. I think about how society was extremely different generations ago, especially for women in regards to the ideologies surrounding women working in America, and it amazes me that these women have accomplished so much despite the obstacles that they faced. We’re spoiled in this generation with things like social media, womanist and feminist movements sparking across the globe, advanced technology, PayPal and Cashapp; we literally have almost everything we need at our fingertips to be successful women. When I look at some of the vets in the business that I admire like Erykah Badu and Phylicia Rashad, I feel appreciative and sort of compelled to achieve the goals I have set for myself. I believe that if they can beat the odds that were stacked against them during their time and accomplish their goals, then I don’t have any excuses for not accomplishing mine, regardless of how big or how small they may be in comparison to theirs. To put it simply, the vets inspire me. I love the poise, dignity, style, and grace that they carry themselves with. I love the words of wisdom that they drop occasionally, and I use some of those gems as daily inspiration.
We don’t always feel inspired. Inspiration can come from many different places, and reading inspirational quotes is one way to help me find some inspiration. I have listed below 5 inspiring quotes from my top 5 favorite successful women that are vets in the game. These quotes help me when I’m feeling everything less than inspirational, feeling confused, or feeling as if I want to give up, and hopefully others will find them helpful as well! Check out the quotes below:
1. “Follow your heart. It will get you to where you need to be. Sometimes it’s hard, sometimes it’s easy, the places that your heart takes you. But continue to follow it. Where the train leads you- you’ll get there.” -Erykah Badu
2. “The stubbornness I had as a child has been transmitted into perseverance. I can let go but I don’t give up. I don’t beat myself up about negative things.”-Phylicia Rashad
3. “Don’t trap yourself with the desire of wanting to be liked. Worry about being respected, never worry about being liked because that’s the trap.”-Jada Pinkett-Smith
4. “You may not always have a comfortable life and you will not always be able to solve all of the world’s problems at once but don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own…whether you come from a council estate or a country estate, your success will be determined by your own confidence and fortitude.”-Michelle Obama
5. “Don’t make excuses- make improvements!”-Tyra Banks
These are just a few quotes from my favorites, but there are much more veteran-woman bosses in the game that have wisdom and knowledge that we can use to inspire us. Share some of your favorites in the comments below!
Written By: Kahina Ray